Hiring Horse Farm Employees

Credit: Thinkstock

You can keep any horse looking healthy, train the most challenging mounts and expertly nurse an injured or lame horse back to health. But, when it comes to paperwork, you find it to be a daunting task.

But, as your stable continues to grow, you desperately need help with chores. You’ve put off hiring an employee because the required paperwork seems overwhelming.

Fortunately, we are in the era of outsourcing. “There are many payroll and human resources consultants, ready, able and willing to work,” said Deb Best of Deb Best Practices.

There are countless, free resources available to get you started. “Each state has a department of labor, and there are small business centers and local chamber of commerces to help those just starting out,” she added. 

Regardless of which state your stable is located in, the first step is to file for an Employment Identification Number (EIN). An EIN is required for reporting taxes and other information about your employee(s). Then verify the individual you hire is legally able to work in the United States. You’ll also need to establish payroll taxes, worker’s compensation and unemployment insurance. 

Next, find out if you will need to purchase disability insurance for employees with a non-work related injury or illness. “Hire a good payroll service to help establish and maintain the documentation,” she suggested.

There are a lot of legal requirements associated with hiring staff, and the requirements vary from state to state. “For example, employees in New York have to sign a wage theft prevention notice that explains when they will get paid and what rate,” Best said.

You’ll also be required to establish a recordkeeping system that provides proof of the number of hours the individual works.

To learn more before hiring your first employee, visit the Small Business Administration at for additional information.






Oops! We could not locate your form.