Why The Paperwork? Coggins Testing and Health Certificates

Horse owners need to make sure that they have the proper health tests and certificates to ensure their horses can travel.

Make sure you check with your veterinarian to ensure you horse has a current Coggins test and health papers before you travel to a show, event or trail ride. iStock

When traveling between states or between barns and equestrian events, specific legal documents often must accompany your horse.

Links in articles are part of an Amazon Affiliate program that provides income to support this brand. Links are chosen by our editors.

A Coggins test is a blood test that samples a horse for the presence of equine infectious anemia (EIA), a virus similar to the human HIV virus. It is transmitted mostly by large biting flies, such as horse or deer flies. A horse that tests positive to EIA might be actively infected or be a carrier. In either case, the horse must be strictly quarantined for life away from other horses or be euthanized.

In an effort to eradicate this disease in the horse population, regulations are enforced for horses crossing state lines. Some states require a negative Coggins test within 12 months, while others require testing within the preceding six-month period. Many boarding and show barns and competition facilities require a negative Coggins test for a horse to enter the premises.

Equine business owners can create an Amazon Business Account.

Another document required for interstate travel is a certificate of veterinary inspection (CVI). This health certificate—filled out following a veterinary exam—is meant to ensure that a horse has a clean bill of health and is not infected with a contagious disease, most notably respiratory or skin ailments.

Most states require the CVI within 30 days of transport, but others only honor one that has been done in the 10 days prior to transport. Several states also require a permit prior for state entry. The state regulatory office must be contacted to issue approval and a permit number to include on the CVI.

Your veterinarian will have up-to-date information regarding specific state requirements.

Some states accept an interstate equine passport that serves as shipping papers for a horse for six months following a veterinary health examination or until the expiration date of a Coggins test.

A horse hauled into Canada must be accompanied by a specialized international health certificate filled out by your veterinarian and endorsed by the USDA Animal Plant and Health Inspection Service (APHIS). Each Canadian province has its own transportation department, similar to our state agencies. And each province has its own set of regulations.

In many Western states of the USA, horses that travel more than 75 miles from home must also have a brand inspection. This document certifies proof of ownership, regardless of whether or not a horse has a physical brand or tattoo. A brand inspector reviews a bill of sale and registration, compares this information to the horse and its markings, then issues a temporary card or a laminated card that is good through your ownership of that horse.

The bottom line is that there are regulations that you have to contend with when you move your horse around. Some are health regulations and some are meant to protect ownership. Make sure before you travel to a show, event or trail ride that you talk to your veterinarian and get the proper paperwork.

Sign up now for Amazon Prime 30-day Free Trials, a membership program that offers special benefits including: Instantly watch thousands of movies and TV episodes; Borrow Kindle books; Get unlimited FREE two-day shipping (no minimum order size). Learn more.






"*" indicates required fields

The latest from Stable Management, the #1 resource for horse farm and stable owners, managers and riding instructors, delivered straight to your inbox.

Additional Offers

Additional Offers
This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.