THE AMERICAN QUARTER HORSE JOURNAL— October, 8, 2012 — The American Quarter Horse Association honored the 2012 50-year breeders at a ceremony held on October 2 at the American Quarter Horse Hall of Fame & Museum in Amarillo.
Each year, AQHA honors breeders who have dedicated their livelihoods to maintaining the integrity of the American Quarter Horse. These horsemen and families see their biggest accomplishments and proudest moments in the horses they breed.
“It’s our honor to recognize the effort and time these breeders have spent in pushing the development of the American Quarter Horse,” said Don Treadway Jr., AQHA executive vice president.
This year, the honorees included 16 who received the cumulative award and 16 who received the legacy award. Cumulative breeders are those who have registered at least one foal for 50 years cumulatively. Legacy breeders are those who have registered at least one foal for 50 consecutive years.
50-Year Cumulative Breeders
- Carl Brackin of Hartford, Alabama
- Susan Barrington of Slaton, Texas
- Jack Brainard of Whitesboro, Texas
- W R Burris of Willits, California
- Jerry and Amanda Kaufmann of Buffalo, Wyoming
- May Brothers of Kyle, South Dakota
- Panhandle State University of Goodwell, Oklahoma
- Norman J Huggins Family of Stigler, Oklahoma
- Murray and Lois French of Eureka, Kansas
- Seven L Ranch of Devers, Texas
- Tom and Carol Klamrowski of Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
- Broken Heart Ranch – Ralph and Helen Pederson of Firesteel, South Dakota
- L H Wall Jr of Crowell, Texas
- Kwen Griffeth of Preston, Idaho
- Joe Sipes of Atoka, Oklahoma
- Wing Brothers of Dalhart, Texas
50-Year Legacy Breeders
- Loren V Peterson of Bayard, Nebraska
- Thomas Lowell Barrett of Watertown, South Dakota
- Chip and Leila Lockett of Huntington, Oregon
- Duane W Walker of Canton, Kansas
- Curtis W Shaw of Garvin, Minnesota
- Ronald Welch of Tulia, Texas
- White Oaks Farm of Holly, Colorado
- Ken and Betty Williamson of Emmett, Idaho
- Mary and Wayne Drydale of Bolckow, Missouri
- Franklin D Higgs of Valley Center, Kansas
- The Waldners of Brookings, South Dakota
- Dent Bradley of Dimmitt, Texas
- Jerry and Gwen Vawter of Aubrey, Texas
- Rebecca Dodge of Pryor, Oklahoma
- Bobby G Wedeking of Stamford, Texas
- R E Odom of Orange, Texas
Honorees ranged from people who have bred American Quarter Horses for reining, racing, cutting, ranch and rodeo. All have dedicated 50 years to taking their best and making it better.
AQHA news and information is a service of AQHA publications. For more information on The American Quarter Horse Journal or America’s Horse, visit AQHA Publications.