The EQUUS Foundation is the only national charity in the United States 100% dedicated to ensuring the welfare of America's horses and fostering the horse-human bond that has existed throughout history.
"We provide financial support to charities across the United States that are providing shelter, rehabilitation, retraining and re-homing of America's horses at risk, and to the charities that are providing opportunities for horses to change peoples' lives, especially for people with special needs," said Lynn Coakley, EQUUS Foundation President.
The EQUUS Foundation has one of the most comprehensive and impartial verification processes to inspire donor confidence in the charities selected to receive grants each year. Financial support is provided to only those organizations that are both fully transparent & accountable to the public and are operating at the highest standards of horse care.
"What's important to realize is that there is a great disparity in horse care practices among equine organizations," said Valerie Angeli, VP Communications. "The selection process was especially difficult because we received over $500,000 in requests and had only $200,000 in funds available. These organizations depend on us to assist them in their work. Our goal is to step up our financial support, but we need donations from people who care to make this happen!"
Horses thrill us as athletes, inspire confidence and teamwork in equestrians of all ages, grace our lives as companions, and perform miracles for people with special needs.
But, all horses, even champions of the racetrack and the show ring, are only one unlucky sale away from abuse, neglect and being sold for slaughter.
100,000 of America's horses were transported over the border for slaughter last year. Most were young, healthy and had untapped potential. None deserved this inhumane end of life.
The EQUUS Foundation is dedicated to ensuring that all of America's horses are safe and live in comfort with purpose and dignity.
Horses can dramatically improve the lives of people with special needs and allow them to live life as productively and independently as possible, yet equine activities and therapies are only available to a small percentage of people with special needs.
One in 88 children lives with Autism. One in four veterans have PTSD. One in five of all Americans have a disability. That's 48.9 million people who would be able to benefit from the magic and power of horses if the opportunities were available.
The EQUUS Foundation is dedicated to providing the means for as many people as possible to benefit from equine assisted activities and therapies.
EQUUS Foundation Horse Whisperer Grant Recipients
The EQUUS Foundation designates a handful of recipients each year to be named in honor of EQUUS Foundation Horse Whisperers, a select group of donors that have made a substantial commitment to honor their loved ones, family members, friends or equine companions.
The EQUUS Foundation is proud to announce that the following organizations were designated as Horse Whisperer grant recipients.
Michele E. Arnhold Memorial Horse Whisperer Grants
Established in 2008 by the family of Michele E. Arnhold in memory of her pursuit of excellence and her commitment and contribution to the equestrian sport.
- Giving Alternative Learners Uplifting Opportunities, Inc. (GALLOPNYC) Brooklyn, New York
- High Hopes Therapeutic Riding Old Lyme, Connecticut
- New Canaan Mounted Troop New Canaan, Connecticut
Daniel D. Barkan Memorial Horse Whisperer Grants
Established in 2013 by the family of Daniel D. Barkan, a quiet philanthropist and gentleman, in memory of his life-long love of horses.
Richard L. Parish, Jr., Memorial Horse Whisperer Grants
Established in 2014 by the family of Richard L. Parish in recognition of his leadership and dedication for over 45 years to the causes supported by the Richard Laurence Parish Foundation.
- Charleston Area Therapeutic Riding (CATR) Johns Island, South Carolina
- Green Chimneys Children's Services Brewster, New York
- Kentucky Equine Humane Center Lexington, Kentucky
EQUUS Foundation 2017 Grant Recipients
- All About Equine Animal Rescue
- Amazing Grace Equine Sanctuary, Inc
- Animals as Natural Therapy
- Appalachian Therapeutic Riding Center
- Beyond The Roses Equine Rescue & Retirement
- Blue Rose Ranch, Inc.
- Brook Hill Farm
- Buffalo Therapeutic Riding Center, Inc.
- CANTER California
- CANTER Michigan
- Central Kentucky Riding for Hope, Inc. (CKRH)
- Charleston Area Therapeutic Riding, Inc.
- Colorado Horse Rescue
- Colorado Therapeutic Riding Center
- Draft Gratitude
- Dream Catcher Stables, Inc
- Endeavor Therapeutic Horsemanship, Inc.
- Equine Rescue and Adoption Foundation
- Green Chimneys Children's Services, Inc.
- H.O.R.S.E. of CT, Inc.
- Healing Arenas, Inc.
- Healing with Horses Ranch
- Hearts & Horses
- Hearts Therapeutic Equestrian Center
- Heavenly Horse Haven
- High Hopes Therapeutic Riding, Inc.
- Hoofbeats Therapeutic Riding Center
- Horse and Hound Rescue Foundation
- Humane Equine Aid & Rapid Transport (HEART)
- Illinois Equine Humane Center, NFP
- JoyRide Center, Inc.
- Kentucky Equine Humane Center
- Little Britches Therapeutic Riding
- Lucky Orphans Horse Rescue, Inc.
- Maker's Mark Secretariat Center
- Manes & Motions Therapeutic Riding Center
- Maryland Horse Industry Board
- Missouri Forget Me Not Horse Rescue & Sanctuary
- Mitchell Farm Equine Retirement, Inc.
- Nature's Edge Therapy Center
- New Beginnings Thoroughbreds, Inc
- New Canaan Mounted Troop, Inc.
- Northern Virginia Therapeutic Riding Program
- Omega Horse Rescue and Rehabilitation Center
- PA Racehorse Rehoming, Rehabilitation & Rescue
- Pegasus Therapeutic Riding Academy, Inc.
- People & Animal Learning Services, Inc. (PALS)
- Prancing Horse, Inc.
- Ray of Light Farm
- Red Clay Ranch Equine Rescue and Sanctuary
- Ride On St. Louis, Inc.
- Riding To The Top Therapeutic Riding Center
- Rising Starr Horse Rescue
- Rocking Horse Ranch Therapeutic Riding Program, Inc.
- S.T.A.R. Ranch
- Saffyre Sanctuary, Inc,
- Santa Ynez Valley Therapeutic Riding Program
- Sarasota Manatee Association for Riding Therapy, Inc (SMART)
- Second Chances Equine Rescue Inc
- Special Equestrians
- Special Equestrians, Inc.
- Standardbred Retirement Foundation
- Sunset TRP Inc, DBA Whispering Manes Therapeutic Riding Center
- Thoroughbred Placement Resources, Inc.
- White Bird Appaloosa Horse Rescue
- Windridge Therapeutic Equestrian Center
- Wings of Eagles Ranch
The EQUUS Foundation, a 501(c)(3) public charity established in 2002, also known as Horse Charities of America, the only national animal welfare charity in the United States dedicated solely to horse welfare and the horse-human bond. Donations are tax-deductible to the full extent of the law. Contact the EQUUS Foundation, Inc., at 168 Long Lots Road, Westport, CT 06880, Tele: (203) 259-1550, E-Mail: email@example.com, Website: www.equusfoundation.org.