The Washington State-based horse rescue organization HEART (Healthy Equine Association for Rehabilitation and Training) announces the opening of the application period during which young riders may apply to receive 2015 Scholarship funds. HEART, (Healthy Equine Association for Rehabilitation and Training), is a Federal 501(c)(3) Public Charity and Washington State Tax Exempt, Charitable Organization that specializes in the rescue and rehabilitation of horses that may be candidates for euthanasia specifically for the purpose of returning them to a useful life working in educational and school horse programs, or with economically disadvantaged children and adults. In concert with this mission, HEART awards scholarship funding to help young riders participate in educational programs of their choice with scholarships awarded at local, regional and national levels.
This year, North American Western Dressage (NAWD) has been selected by the HEART Board of Directors as the national organization whose youth members have a chance to apply for $250 in funding to further their study of western dressage. Funds may be used to attend clinics, take lessons, participate in shows or be used to care for a rescue horse. HEART Scholarships may be awarded to economically disadvantaged students and to students who ride rescue horses, or to any qualified applicant. The application deadline is May 1, 2015.
To be eligible for general scholarships:
- Applicant must be between ages 8 and 18 years of age
- Applicant must be a student in good academic standing maintaining a minimum 2.0 GPA
- Applicant must meet criteria for the Scholarship
- Application must be complete and submitted with all documentation requested
To apply for the Scholarship, applicants must
- Fill out application completely
- Write and submit a 300+ word essay
- Intermediate and advanced riders submit a history of riding experience including photos
- Submit two letters of recommendation from non-family members
- PARENTS: Please submit a 100 word essay explaining why your child is a good candidate for receipt of a HEART Scholarship
Applicants must request an application by contacting Michelle Binder-Zolezzi at firstname.lastname@example.org.
North American Western Dressage is a non-profit organization that offers casual, fun, and affordable ways to learn about Western Dressage in the form of clinics and virtual shows. We start from the ground up with our "Six Feet on the Ground" Groundwork program, continue with Western Dressage Tests, Western Dressage Freestyles, and Western Dressage Trail tests. Our judges are carefully chosen for their understanding that Western Dressage is not dressage in a western saddle and that the fundamentals of good riding are universal. We embrace and include equine enthusiasts from ALL walks of life.