FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE — JAN. 17, 2013 — The Unwanted Horse Coalition has been operating for over 6 years under the auspices of the American Horse Council and is under the direction of Ericka Caslin. Its mission is to reduce the number of unwanted horses and to improve their welfare through education and the efforts of organizations committed to the health, safety, and responsible care and disposition of these horses. Through the UHC website, strong committees, educational materials (brochures, flyers, handbooks, surveys, and books) hands-on projects directly benefitting horses and horse owners, and a constant e-news summary the UHC’s mission continues to hold fast.
The UHC has been working on many different projects in 2012. In 2013 we will continue to improve and build upon our current programs while brainstorming new ideas and forming new, important partnerships that will help the welfare of unwanted horses. We will also continue to educate the public about unwanted horses, owning responsibly, and breeding responsibly.
For questions about the UHC or how you can get involved, contact UHC Director, Ericka Caslin at [email protected] or call the office at 202-296-4031.
A Glimpse of 2012 for the Unwanted Horse Coalition:
The UHC’s Operation Gelding Program continues to be an industry role model for castration clinics and castration clinic grant programs. The program has aided in the castration of 592 stallions since its inception in September 2010. Thanks to Pfizer and the AAEP, we have money to fund the program through the spring and summer.
The UHC is a partner in The Equine Network’s A Home for Every Horse program (AHFEH). AHFEH is a universal website where rescues may list their horses available for adoption. The service is free and available to all 501 (c)(3) registered facilities (www.ahomeforeveryhorse.com) The website was launched in November, 2011. Current program stats: more than 500 adoptable horses are currently listed on the website, (more than 1,600 adoptable horses listed since Jan 2012) and there are more than 400 rescues participating. AHFEH sponsor, Purina, gave each participating rescue (listed as of mid-August) 20 bags of free feed. Weatherbeeta, another sponsor of AHFEH, has a special AHFEH blanket and donated 250 of them to rescue horses in need. AHFEH Facebook page currently has 3,602 ‘likes’.
The UHC is still distributing Dr. Jennifer Williams’ book How to Start and Run a Rescue. The book is $20, which includes shipping and all proceeds go to our Operation Gelding grant program. This book is an indispensable resource that offers practical and insightful advice to those who are interested in starting a rescue or those who may already have a rescue, but may need help improving upon their business. The book covers topics such as formation of a nonprofit, fundraising, public relations and marketing, networking, formulating policies, successful bookkeeping, and much more. Dr. Williams discusses the complex issues involved in founding a rescue, long-term management, and improving upon a currently existing rescue.
In November 2012, UHC Director, Ericka Caslin, went to the Equine Extravaganza to judge the Rags to Riches Horse Rescue Talent Search Competition on behalf of the UHC. It was a fantastic event that featured rescue horses competing and showcasing how far they have come since their rescue. Caslin judged the event with famous rider Harry DeLeyer, author of The Eighty Dollar Champion: Snowman, the Horse That Inspired a Nation, Elizabeth Letts, and Elizabeth Shatner.
- The UHC website (www.unwantedhorsecoalition.org) still provides information for horse owners and lovers alike. We currently have a list of over 700 facilities that accept horses listed on our site, all categorized by state. We also have a growing directory of resources for horse owners in need. We have lists of available grants, haybanks/feedbanks, castration clinics, vaccination programs, free equine classified websites, and more.
- The UHC has a variety of materials at the public’s disposal from brochures and flyers, to surveys and handbooks. These materials are all available for free download on the UHC website. If you’d like any of these materials in hard copy, contact UHC director, Ericka Caslin at [email protected] or call the office at 202-296-4031.
Current UHC Members
- American Assn. of Equine Practitioners
- American Paint Horse Association
- American Quarter Horse Association
- American Veterinary Medical Association
- Animal Welfare Council
- Arabian Horse Association
- Bayer Animal Health
- California Retirement Management Account
- Carriage Operators of North America
- Equine Extravaganza
- Hooved Animal Humane Society
- Kentucky Equine Humane Center
- Maryland Horse Breeders
- Masters of Foxhounds Association
- Merck Animal Health
- Minnesota Horse Council
- New Vocations
- Northwest Racing Associates
- National Thoroughbred Racing Association
- Oak Tree Racing Association
- Professional Rodeo Cowboys’ Association
- The Equine Network
- The Equus Foundation
- The Jockey Club
- The National H.B.P.A., Inc.
- United States Dressage Federation
- United States Equestrian Federation
- United States Polo Association
- United States Trotting Association
- United States Hunter Jumper Association
- Wisconsin State Horse Council