June 18, 2013 — The American Youth Horse Council (AYHC) invites proposals to speak at the 37th Annual AYHC Symposium, March 21-23, 2014, in Minneapolis, Minnesota. This event presents an opportunity for adult and student leaders in the youth horse industry to come together to learn, network, share ideas and grow as an industry.
Three audiences will be represented:
- Adult Leaders of Youth—mostly volunteers who work directly with youth in the field;
- Youth Industry Professionals—those employed in the youth horse industry (such as Extension Specialists and Breed Association Youth Program Coordinators);
- Peer Leaders of Youth—older teen leaders and college students focusing on leadership (who are also encouraged to submit proposals for presentations).
The non-breed- or non-discipline-specific curriculum throughout the symposium offers equine knowledge that transfers from the book to the barn, providing take-home tools to teach youth about safe and effective horsemanship. Above all, the symposium connects participants with resources, referrals and networking to help kids connect through horses. Presentations can address, but are not limited to, the following categories:
- Youth Leadership/Character Development
- Youth Issue Forums
- Traditional Youth Programming
- Horse Management and Health Care
- Interactive and Hands-on Youth Development Activities
- Horse Industry Issues, including Legislative, Career Development
There are two types of sessions available; AYHC welcomes proposals for both formats.
- Workshop – May be presented in a variety of formats including lecture, discussion, forum, panel or hands-on activity. Preference will be given to interactive workshops.
- Demonstration – Arena demonstrations are offered on Saturday afternoon only. Demonstrations should showcase a discipline, breed or training technique.
Proposals must follow the provided format and be submitted electronically by email no later than Sept. 15, 2013. Complete guidelines and forms are available at www.ayhc.com. Speakers are responsible for their own registration fees, travel, lodging and other expenses.
The American Youth Horse Council is a network of academic, breed, industry and other representatives interested in facilitating the flow of horse-related educational resources for youth. AYHC’s mission is to provide encouragement, communication, leadership and resources to serve and promote the youth horse industry. For complete presentation proposal instructions and/or more information about the association, please visit www.ayhc.com or contact the American Youth Horse Council at info@AYHC.com.